Pilbara Region, Western Australia, Australia
Calibre was engaged as the engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) provider in the progressive expansion of the Yandicoogina mine from 18Mtpa to 53Mtpa, which was delivered across five stages.
Calibre completed the Preliminary Engineering Study (PES) and the Definitive Engineering Study (DES) for the Yandicoogina (Yandi) mine for Rio Tinto Iron Ore Expansion Projects and was engaged to execute the implementation phase of the Yandi Sustaining Project (YSP) in October 2012.
The Yandi Sustaining Project intended to extend the life of the Yandicoogina mine in the Pilbara to 2021 and expand its nameplate capacity from 53Mtpa to 56Mtpa.
The scope of works included:
- Construction of a sizer plant
- Upgrading the existing processing plant
- Constructing a wet processing facility
- Installation of a second stacker
- Significant supporting infrastructure, including civil infrastructure, dewatering, raw and potable water, waste water treatment plants, site accommodation, mine support infrastructure, flood management, high voltage power supply, controls and communications.