Mine - Partial Closure, Order of Magnitude Study
Western Australia, Australia
Delivering unique closure requirements for progressive rehabilitation.
Calibre QuadR was engaged to deliver engineering services for a Partial Closure Order of Magnitude Study, schedule, estimate, abandonment strategy and design.
Our team identified the key study milestones as being the completion of the basis of design criteria set; options analysis, non mine landform MTO production, estimate, engineering services deliverables, review and development of the Order of Magnitude study report.
The project was unique as the closure requires a progressive rehabilitation. The six mine pits will be progressively closed such that the pit floors are rehabilitated and access to rehabilitated areas is restricted to prevent inadvertent trafficking post rehabilitation.
Operations will continue producing low grade stockpile while Calibre QuadR rehabilitates the mine pits that have been exhausted.
The original project scope was a partial closure of site. After a series of reviews and the Life of Mine Ore Body Effectiveness Study, the client decided to continue operations at the site. The delivery strategy changed from partial closure to progressive rehabilitation once the pit and low-grade stockpiles are exhausted.
Calibre QuadR coordinated and managed engineering works and collated results for developing the master order of magnitude report, estimate and schedules. Our team was accountable for delivering engineering services for:
- Non-mined landforms
- HSEC-focused design
- Identifying technology opportunities
- Engineering study scoping
- Technical assurance planning
- Development of general arrangement drawings
- Delivery of the abandonment and catchment bund alignment and design including in-pit catch bunds, internal progressive safety bunds and external progressive abandonment bunds
- Pit floor rehabilitation including ripping and seeding to a maximum of 300mm and medium growth spread
- Completion of the basis of design criteria set
- Completion of the OoM options analysis
- Completion of the OoM technical scope
- Completion of the OoM study report
- Completion of the abandonment bund strategy in technical memo
- Preparation of volume calculation and material movement required to prepare estimate
- Mine Closure