Monaro Highway Duplication
Shared Services Procurement and ACT Government
Fyshwick, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
With the Monaro Highway set to become a major freight route, the $18m upgrade was necessary to cater for future traffic predictions and to ease congestion for 40,000 daily motorists. Calibre's high level of cooperation with both the client and contractor and our team's ability to meet rigorous reporting requirements was key to the success of this federally-funded, locally-managed project.
The upgrade included duplicating 1.5km of highway, as well as new bridges over a rail line. The duplicated road provides an additional two traffic lanes plus a wide shoulder appropriate for on-road cycling.
Project highlights included:
- Realignment of southbound entry ramp from Newcastle Street
- Construction of new single span bridge over the Canberra/Queanbeyan railway line
- Construction of new cast in-situ concrete box girder bridge
- Installation of bridge safety screens
- Relocation of existing Googong bulk supply watermain