Western Australia Institute of Sport (WAIS)
Sandover Pinder/DWP and Suters and Town of Claremont
Claremont, Western Australia, Australia
As the current Western Australia Institute of Sport (WAIS) facility was no longer able to meet high performance training requirements and was unsuitable for refurbishment and expansion, the Western Australian Government committed to build a new High Performance Centre adjacent to Challenge Stadium. Calibre were engaged as the specialist pool engineers.
The High Performance Centre includes:
- Strength and conditioning gym suitable for two sporting squads to train simultaneously
- Four-lane indoor athletics track with complete pole vault setup, ability for indoor javelin and a long jump pit
- Multipurpose indoor sport science testing area
- Laboratory for the Western Australia High Performance Sport Research centre
- Controlled heat/humidity/altitude laboratory
- Athlete amenities including study zone, kitchen and recreation area
- Complete universal access for paralympic athletes
The Western Australian Institute provides a daily training environment for 285 high performance athletes involved in 28 sports and a total of 14 dedicated programs.